Our beautiful center was designed pro-bono by the architects at SUPER-INTERESTING!. Using simple but innovative space planning, the designers created a series of shared, flexible open spaces that flow into each other, large and small meeting rooms, and private offices. The design quickly transformed an empty warehouse into our vibrant center in the heart of Red Hook. At the center of the building is a double-height events space. The entire space is generously sky-lit, and glazed walls in interior rooms allow even more daylight in from the two large, glazed, roll-up doors. The roll-up doors are fully operable, and enable warm weather events to spill out onto the sidewalk.
RHI is an adaptive reuse of an existing warehouse building. Sustainable design strategies include
- day-lighting and passive ventilation (through large, glazed roll-up doors and operable skylights),
- low-impact materials like caster oil-based blown insulation and low-VOC paints and stains,
- low-flow faucets and dual-flush toilets, and
- high-efficiency mechanical system and lighting fixtures (including zoned thermostats and motion sensors).
- reused materials of a former IKEA kitchen display cut down on the purchase of new materials.
The Red Hook Initiative rents out our space when it is not in use for programs. RHI has been used for birthday parties, anniversary gatherings, corporate meetings, sweet sixteen celebrations, and even for church services.
For a copy of our space rental policies and pricing, please email Naiyma Holmes, firstname.lastname@example.org.