Summitt Community Meeting
Nov 5, 2012, 4pm
- Cavalry church – small care packages for parents from 9-3pm. Trying to extend that time. Hot food from noon -2pm, 5-7pm.
- SBHS on Conover also has small care packages.
- District Parents Council – sanitary items needed
- 351 Van Brunt Street – to apply for aid, free electricity, and warm
- Voting all happening at PS 27 not PS 15
- FEMA waiting for New York State to submit formal request and it will be set up over next couple days likely at IKEA. Will not be at 351 Van Brunt.
- NYCHA –pumping water out and coming back up. DEP and Marine Corps assessing structural damages over the next day. Dan Wiley will send an email with timeline of next steps.
- Request was made to Congresswoman Velazquez for sanitation pick up specifically for NYCHA trash.
- Legal Aid has a mobile unit on Visitation.
- $10/hour seasonal positions available at IKEA and small business space for – email@example.com
- RHI – non-emergency medical attention, FEMA applications, food stamps, lawyers also available, food, water, phone charge, warm – until Wednesday. 10-10pm
- Fairway closed for 30-60 days – maybe longer.
From speaking to Captain and the community relations officer in neighborhood, the report is that there is no crime and not of concern. Would be great to share this news of how we are proud of how this community is handling itself and taking care of one another. If doing demolition – please consider getting a contractor. DIY demolition is dangerous.
John Jay is open until Wednesday as a shelter @ 7th ave between 4th and 5th streets.
It should be noted that evacuation is currently in place and folks who are living here are doing so illegally. Need NYCHA and mayor’s office to engage in a conversation about how to make the areas safer and habitable. Lack of running water for toilets is of particular concern and a public health hazard.